Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Yes, I Can! And You Can Too!

  • I'm a foodie
  • I love food and I love to cook.
  • I'm 60 years old.
  • I've been gaining weight for 30 years.
  • But now I'm losing!
  • 55 pounds in the past year.
  • Ideally 10 more pounds to go
  • If I can do this, you can too!
I invite you to join me in an adventure in weight loss and becoming more physically fit.
You can succeed if I did, as I’m 60 years with a metabolism that sags almost as much as my behind did. Honestly, I didn’t think I could do it.   This negative mindset stopped me from seriously trying to change my lifestyle habits.  But if I did it then you can succeed at losing weight as well.  Yes, yes, you can!  I would be honored to be your guide in your adventure     and sharing some techniques, web links, tips and recipes that assisted me.
Three necessary components to this successful adventure:        
First your attitude must be A+positive, not only in your willingness to visualize yourself as being successful but to focus on the rewards of a new lifestyle.  You are on an adventure to try new foods.  Exploration and eating vegetables is vital in controlling blood sugar and hunger.  Focus on the new foods and behaviors you have an opportunity to experience, rather than the foods you will be minimizing.
The only expense to this new lifestyle is purchasing more vegetables and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) DVDs, which will be discussed later, as diet is at least 70 to 80% related to weight reduction.  There are no pills, expensive factory formulated foods or meal supplements to buy, which rarely are sustainable and may even damage your health.   

Three Keys to Success:
  1. A+ Attitude:  Believe in yourself.
  2. Analyze Your Why:  Invest in understanding, then commit
  3. Adventure Approach: Have fun, learn new skills and laugh       Second, analyze and commit to why you want to lose weight, enhance your health, and increase your fitness.  Keep this in your forefront at all times.  For me, about a year ago I could not keep up with my daughters and husband hiking even a fairly level path. No wonder-- it was like I was carrying a 60 pound backpack.  As a person who enjoys outdoor activities and spending time with my family this was not acceptable.  Like many of us, over the past 30 years I had put on a few pounds each year----until suddenly I was up 60 pounds. Yikes!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Your answer to your why will direct your goals.  The determined goal must be yours and not your doctor’s or anybody else’s goal. Your why will drive your behavior and assist you in achieving your goal and sustaining it.                           
Third, approach this as an adventure.  Are you willing to go on the adventure?  All true adventures require learning new skills and perseverance when the going gets tough.  Adventure has uncertainty and is part of the attraction of doing an adventure.
Be sure to inform your friends and families so they can support your new eating preferences.  Invite another friend or family member to join you on the adventure, as it is always more fun to experience an adventure with someone else.
So what can you expect in upcoming blogs?
-- A quick & easy guide to food and blood sugar management.
-- Recipes to help you get started.
-- Support and encouragement from an online community.  Send me your questions, and I’ll happily help you past the hurdles you encounter.

7 comments:

  1. I am joining you Terry! Thanks for doing this!!! I have the same reason for wanting to lose weight.....I miss keeping up with my friends while hiking, skiing, or biking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to have you on the team. One other person has said they want to join as well. I am happy to report that I could keep up with my daughter when we went hiking over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sign me on as well...I know that veggies are key to my overall health and lost 50 pounds a few years ago...have gradually put half of the weight back on and am ready to recommit myself to a "green" and colorful path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Yes! You have the A+ attitude and will be able to sustain your loss this time. I can tell.
      Let's go!

      Delete
  4. Terry! This program is just what I need. I am excited! Vicky Bohlig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are going to join us. Feel free to ask questions as we journey.

      Delete
  5. Hi Terry. I'm excited to join you as well. Thanks for taking the lead!

    ReplyDelete